No internet Ham radio ??
Posted: 27 Sep 2026, 08:48
Hello all,
Just trying to provoke discussion on internet use by Radio Hams for communication !
My views
I personally think we should strive to do all our activities using Radio only ( I know this is not a real world view) I don't see the point in sitting 10 feet away from an internet hotspot and then chatting over the internet and think the system would be better suited if you were connecting through a repeater/link and at least causing some RF use which can be heard on the bands at present if you were listening on VHF/UHF you could make the argument that there is very little use so we can take it away for commercial use.The was at one point a saying which went Use those bands or lose those bands ! My comment above ie real world use accepts that some Hams maybe too far away from repeaters or unable to install antennas but the solution surely should be to radiate some RF and create a link in your area ,
Anyway what do you think ?
Just trying to provoke discussion on internet use by Radio Hams for communication !
My views
I personally think we should strive to do all our activities using Radio only ( I know this is not a real world view) I don't see the point in sitting 10 feet away from an internet hotspot and then chatting over the internet and think the system would be better suited if you were connecting through a repeater/link and at least causing some RF use which can be heard on the bands at present if you were listening on VHF/UHF you could make the argument that there is very little use so we can take it away for commercial use.The was at one point a saying which went Use those bands or lose those bands ! My comment above ie real world use accepts that some Hams maybe too far away from repeaters or unable to install antennas but the solution surely should be to radiate some RF and create a link in your area ,
Anyway what do you think ?