Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
Was using the radio this morning working fine then something happened now just about 2 watts on Am and about 6-8 watts on ssb both lower and upper.
Radio was doing 15 watts ssb the dropped to about half the out power.
Radio dead on frequency and receive is great
No burn marks on the bottom pc side.
I pulled both finals 2sc 1969 and 2sc2166 and both are ok.
Seem like rf out power just dropped in radio.
Any suggestions Im going to get out the service manual later tonight and study it and see if i can figure this out
Forgot to add there is very little modulated audio going out on AM its now backwards modulation and ssb will get a 5-8 watt carrier this is with a turner hand power mic.
Radio was doing about 15 watts SSB and about 5 watts AM now all low rf out.
As of today I just replaced the finals with HG 1969 and 2166 and same results low ssb power.
If i say ah ah into mic on ssb about 3 watts and if i whistle it will peak to maybe 7 watts max
thanks for any help
Radio was doing 15 watts ssb the dropped to about half the out power.
Radio dead on frequency and receive is great
No burn marks on the bottom pc side.
I pulled both finals 2sc 1969 and 2sc2166 and both are ok.
Seem like rf out power just dropped in radio.
Any suggestions Im going to get out the service manual later tonight and study it and see if i can figure this out
Forgot to add there is very little modulated audio going out on AM its now backwards modulation and ssb will get a 5-8 watt carrier this is with a turner hand power mic.
Radio was doing about 15 watts SSB and about 5 watts AM now all low rf out.
As of today I just replaced the finals with HG 1969 and 2166 and same results low ssb power.
If i say ah ah into mic on ssb about 3 watts and if i whistle it will peak to maybe 7 watts max
thanks for any help
- Mitch
- Radio Addict

- Posts: 624
- Joined: 02 Nov 2012, 21:26
- Call Sign: M1TCH
- Location: Wigston, Leics.
- Has thanked: 5 times
- Been thanked: 12 times
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
There is a coil with a core right behind the output heatsink, is that burned? Take it out and re-wind with 4½ turns of enamelled copper wire if it shows any signs of stress. It was a common failure point.
The perfect face for radio.
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
I looked and nothing burnt as the coil will adjust power out and I put a meter on it and is not openMitch wrote: 04 Aug 2026, 18:18 There is a coil with a core right behind the output heatsink, is that burned? Take it out and re-wind with 4½ turns of enamelled copper wire if it shows any signs of stress. It was a common failure point.
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
Check the AVR, Q44, 2SD325. Transistor in the left hand circle, mounted on heatsink.
Can be replaced with TIP41
Also check the Inductor, I think it's the one in the right hand circle but it's been a while so it may be one of the other ones in that area, white plastic, non adjustable thing, if you've turned up the power (it shouldn't be doing 15W) they go shorted turns and cause low power.
Can be replaced with TIP41
Also check the Inductor, I think it's the one in the right hand circle but it's been a while so it may be one of the other ones in that area, white plastic, non adjustable thing, if you've turned up the power (it shouldn't be doing 15W) they go shorted turns and cause low power.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
On the Inductor where can they be bought im here in the States Boston Ma.UK-Ham86 wrote: 05 Aug 2026, 12:26 Check the AVR, Q44, 2SD325. Transistor in the left hand circle, mounted on heatsink.
Can be replaced with TIP41
Also check the Inductor, I think it's the one in the right hand circle but it's been a while so it may be one of the other ones in that area, white plastic, non adjustable thing, if you've turned up the power (it shouldn't be doing 15W) they go shorted turns and cause low power.
I will check the regulator i think its fine
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
It's nothing too special, the values are printed on top (and I think I may have directed you to the wrong one, but there's another real close by.) so you should be able to get a suitable replacement from almost any parts distributor but it won't look the same.dj56 wrote: 05 Aug 2026, 12:33 On the Inductor where can they be bought im here in the States Boston Ma.
I will check the regulator i think its fine
I would test the part first.
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
Crazy questionUK-Ham86 wrote: 05 Aug 2026, 13:49It's nothing too special, the values are printed on top (and I think I may have directed you to the wrong one, but there's another real close by.) so you should be able to get a suitable replacement from almost any parts distributor but it won't look the same.dj56 wrote: 05 Aug 2026, 12:33 On the Inductor where can they be bought im here in the States Boston Ma.
I will check the regulator i think its fine
I would test the part first.
Even though its putting about 6-8 watts this coil or regulator could still be bad???????
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
It's possible but there are other possible causes, we can only guess based on experience.
You can test the part if you have one of those Chinese transistor testers or some other way to measure inductance.
You can test the part if you have one of those Chinese transistor testers or some other way to measure inductance.
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
here is an update on this ssb 140 telsat.
I have run the radio on the 12v plug and all seems good 5 watt AM swings to about 10 watts and ssb about 13 watts.
When run on AC I get about 4 watts Am very little swing and ssb about 6-8 watts max.
I checked the Ac power supply and its dropping about 2 volts during transmit. I checked the power regulator and dropping there also.
So next the AC out of the transformer and loosing about 2 volts about 21v Ac to 19v AC which makes the dc voltage drop about 2-3 volts also
I think the transformer is bad I replaced the 2 filter caps and still same problem and the regulator seems to be working properly.
I checked the 4 diodes and all good replaced the 2 electro caps got same results 2v drop, go back to dc v in and all is ok.
I dont think i will be able to find a new transformer so is there a small power supply i can install in the radio plenty of room if transformer is removed
I have run the radio on the 12v plug and all seems good 5 watt AM swings to about 10 watts and ssb about 13 watts.
When run on AC I get about 4 watts Am very little swing and ssb about 6-8 watts max.
I checked the Ac power supply and its dropping about 2 volts during transmit. I checked the power regulator and dropping there also.
So next the AC out of the transformer and loosing about 2 volts about 21v Ac to 19v AC which makes the dc voltage drop about 2-3 volts also
I think the transformer is bad I replaced the 2 filter caps and still same problem and the regulator seems to be working properly.
I checked the 4 diodes and all good replaced the 2 electro caps got same results 2v drop, go back to dc v in and all is ok.
I dont think i will be able to find a new transformer so is there a small power supply i can install in the radio plenty of room if transformer is removed
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Buick Mackane
- Moderator

- Posts: 10120
- Joined: 21 Aug 2012, 17:30
- Location: Ecosse
- Has thanked: 121 times
- Been thanked: 103 times
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
The man who cut the cable off his hoover and used it to make a choke balun. A good performing antenna beats a clean carpet 
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
thanks im in USA and dont think that would fit inside the radio no demensions posted.
Also he does not ship to USA
thanks
Also he does not ship to USA
thanks
- Mitch
- Radio Addict

- Posts: 624
- Joined: 02 Nov 2012, 21:26
- Call Sign: M1TCH
- Location: Wigston, Leics.
- Has thanked: 5 times
- Been thanked: 12 times
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
You won't need 30 amps, 5 amps will be plenty, I'm sure you could find something locally, or there's https://www.ebay.com/itm/186018427884 (and turn up the voltage).
The perfect face for radio.
-
NM1020
- Regular

- Posts: 38
- Joined: 12 Dec 2023, 20:16
- Call Sign: 26NM1020
- Location: North Midlands, UK
- Been thanked: 3 times
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
I'm not convinced it's the mains transformer. The secondary output of the transformer will droop a bit under load, but ultimately the regulator should be able to take care of that, 19 volts should still be enough head room for it to cope comfortably. Transformers can get shorted turns or go open circuit. If it had even a single shorted turn it would literally fry and you'd have smoke, heat and eventually a blown mains fuse, and this isn't happening. My money would be on a failing regulator and nothing else, unless there's a seriously high resistance bad connection somewhere that you've missed.
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
I did replace the Regulator 2sd525 and had the same results replaced C1 C2 and same resultsNM1020 wrote: 09 Aug 2026, 22:55 I'm not convinced it's the mains transformer. The secondary output of the transformer will droop a bit under load, but ultimately the regulator should be able to take care of that, 19 volts should still be enough head room for it to cope comfortably. Transformers can get shorted turns or go open circuit. If it had even a single shorted turn it would literally fry and you'd have smoke, heat and eventually a blown mains fuse, and this isn't happening. My money would be on a failing regulator and nothing else, unless there's a seriously high resistance bad connection somewhere that you've missed.
- Stronty
- Veteran

- Posts: 2894
- Joined: 24 Sep 2007, 17:48
- Location: Up North
- Has thanked: 119 times
- Been thanked: 40 times
Re: Lafayette ssb 140 info needed low ssb power
The guys over at Microchipz do a PSU board that may be more in keeping. If you are convinced it is the PSU.
They also did a fitting vid > Here
***EDIT*** You're in the USA, maybe not
They also did a fitting vid > Here
***EDIT*** You're in the USA, maybe not
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
