Is there much DMR use near you ?
-
KILLERPARSNIP
- Super Member

- Posts: 174
- Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 20:15
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Is there much DMR use near you ?
Hello all,
I have been listening to my local DMR cluster on an FM only radio just to gauge usage before investing in a DMR radio so far I haven't heard anything so my question is, is DMR used else where in the UK to any degree ? I am keen to use it through repeaters rather than a hotspot !
Thanks all.
I have been listening to my local DMR cluster on an FM only radio just to gauge usage before investing in a DMR radio so far I haven't heard anything so my question is, is DMR used else where in the UK to any degree ? I am keen to use it through repeaters rather than a hotspot !
Thanks all.
- radiosification
- Top Poster

- Posts: 2475
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 23:52
- Location: London
- Contact:
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
DMR is used all over the place. It's probably the most widely used digital voice mode in the UK.
Which area are you in?
Which area are you in?
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
-
Octane Red
- Regular

- Posts: 54
- Joined: 18 Jan 2026, 17:37
- Been thanked: 12 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
If you could let us know which repeaters, we can help you. But its all pretty vague what you are asking. The advice will vary depending on what repeaters you are listening to. For example, if the repeater is linked to Brandmeister, then we can point you to resources like Hoseline that will enable you to hear decoded audio, without yet having a radio. We can also steer you to resources such as DroidStar, VOX DMR or a plethora of other apps that will not only enable you to decode, but to transmit as well.KILLERPARSNIP wrote: 10 Sep 2026, 14:59 Hello all,
I have been listening to my local DMR cluster on an FM only radio just to gauge usage before investing in a DMR radio so far I haven't heard anything so my question is, is DMR used else where in the UK to any degree ? I am keen to use it through repeaters rather than a hotspot !
Thanks all.
But there are a number of networks out there, so until you give us some clues, we are a bit stuck in giving you some pointers that relate to what you are trying to do with your FM analogue radio.
-
KILLERPARSNIP
- Super Member

- Posts: 174
- Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 20:15
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
Hello all,
Thanks for the replies I've been listening for activity on the Salop and Boarders DMR cluster which include GB7DY,GB7WD,GB7KR,GB7BM as well as a couple of other repeaters which are at present not operational. I'm in South Shropshire on the Boarders of Worcestershire and can hear and use all the Analogue repeaters from these areas , I'm looking for a similar experience to using analogue repeaters and doing it my end at least via RF ( Radio Hams not Internet Hams) My biggest use will be mobile.
Many thanks all
Thanks for the replies I've been listening for activity on the Salop and Boarders DMR cluster which include GB7DY,GB7WD,GB7KR,GB7BM as well as a couple of other repeaters which are at present not operational. I'm in South Shropshire on the Boarders of Worcestershire and can hear and use all the Analogue repeaters from these areas , I'm looking for a similar experience to using analogue repeaters and doing it my end at least via RF ( Radio Hams not Internet Hams) My biggest use will be mobile.
Many thanks all
- radiosification
- Top Poster

- Posts: 2475
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 23:52
- Location: London
- Contact:
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
I'd recommend checking the coverage maps on ukrepeater.net to see if you're likely to be in range of any of those repeaters.
Alternatively just put all the frequencies in a scan list or a zone on your analogue radio and see if you pick up a buzzing/engine like sound on any of them. That would indicate you're in range.
Alternatively just put all the frequencies in a scan list or a zone on your analogue radio and see if you pick up a buzzing/engine like sound on any of them. That would indicate you're in range.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
-
KILLERPARSNIP
- Super Member

- Posts: 174
- Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 20:15
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
I have been listening to the local repeaters and only hear the occasional bit of data which I'm guessing is just the system talking to itself . I have now been told by a local ham it was at one point really active but soon died now having less activity than analogue VHF/UHF which around hear is near dead. I'm thinking after 30+ years it may be time to find another hobby !
- radiosification
- Top Poster

- Posts: 2475
- Joined: 27 Dec 2010, 23:52
- Location: London
- Contact:
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
If you can hear the repeater you can likely get in. You can get DMR radios very cheap these days, like £50 for a pretty decent one. Worth a try.
I find that activity generates activity on the radio - lots of people sit around scanning/listening but if you start talking to someone then they'll often join in.
I find that activity generates activity on the radio - lots of people sit around scanning/listening but if you start talking to someone then they'll often join in.
If you're interested in digital voice, check out my YouTube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
http://www.youtube.com/radiosification
-
Octane Red
- Regular

- Posts: 54
- Joined: 18 Jan 2026, 17:37
- Been thanked: 12 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
Is that because the DMR repeaters appear to be connected via a localised network (Salop) rather than a global one like Brandmeister? I have little knowledge of the 'Salop' connectivity, but am aware that the other networks, BM, DVSPhoenix, etc are much larger.KILLERPARSNIP wrote: 21 Sep 2026, 11:14 I have now been told by a local ham it was at one point really active but soon died now having less activity than analogue VHF/UHF which around hear is near dead.
-
KILLERPARSNIP
- Super Member

- Posts: 174
- Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 20:15
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
Having looked into DMR I think it is just not really suitable for my purpose as it relies to much on internet and is over complex when using it mobile across the UK as each system seems to be different. Everyone I have spoken to says radio traffic is none existent and is worse than Analogue VHF/UHF . A shame really as I had hoped DMR was where all the Hams had disappeared to. The reality is Ham radio at least on VHF/UHF is near death.
- rob42
- Super Member

- Posts: 132
- Joined: 24 May 2026, 07:01
- Has thanked: 61 times
- Been thanked: 24 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
radiosification is spot on, with:
If we (as Amateur Radio Operators) allow it to die, then it will. And if we don't want it to die, then we have to keep it alive: no point in sitting around complaining about it -- take action.
QTH: Durham UK
Scanner: Uniden UBC125XLTC + Moonraker Skyscan Mobile Antenna
Software: Scan125 Control Program Suite
(http://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125)
with my own scan125-frequency.log Monitor bolted on.
Transceiver: Baofeng GT-5R + NAGOYA NA-771
License Level: Pending
Scanner: Uniden UBC125XLTC + Moonraker Skyscan Mobile Antenna
Software: Scan125 Control Program Suite
(http://www.nick-bailey.co.uk/scan125)
with my own scan125-frequency.log Monitor bolted on.
Transceiver: Baofeng GT-5R + NAGOYA NA-771
License Level: Pending
-
KILLERPARSNIP
- Super Member

- Posts: 174
- Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 20:15
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
I do try my best to keep some activity going, I call out on the local repeaters on my commute home but unfortunately very rarely get a call back ( once every two weeks or so) I put calls out over the weekend and link repeaters together ( using DTMF and Echolink) but mainly find just silence. The one thing that does seem to have regular activity is Hubnet unfortunately not great for the commute as the repeaters/Gateways are not ideally placed for my up and down commute.I find very often I become disappointed and feel I'm wasting my time trying. Yesterday I did have a contact with a guy about 10 miles away and as he had just programmed his radio up we had a float around the repeaters and manged a contact on 9 repeaters up to a distance of 64 miles away being the furthest , a bit daft as we were doing a 120+ mile trip when we could hear each other simplex.
-
KILLERPARSNIP
- Super Member

- Posts: 174
- Joined: 27 Jan 2016, 20:15
- Has thanked: 71 times
- Been thanked: 8 times
Re: Is there much DMR use near you ?
My mobile radio died ,or at least the battery did ( Baofeng UV5R) So I have treated myself to a DMR replacement a Radtel RT4D hopefully I can find some one to talk to through the local DMR repeaters but if all else fails at least I can use it on FM !