New CB radio recommendations

The place to talk about specific radios, equipment and accessories. Do you prefer the latest generation of rigs and antennas or do you like the classics? Discuss it here!
User avatar
Agent 48
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 748
Joined: 23 Jun 2024, 18:47
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

New CB radio recommendations

Post by Agent 48 »

So I'm just curious... Most of the modern CB radios are made a bit cheap, although made cheap not cheap price... if you were given 200 quid to by a new CB what CB would you buy?
User avatar
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1913
Joined: 03 Dec 2016, 11:07
Call Sign: Lemmy
Location: Poland
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by ch25 »

Not a new radio for sure.
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
User avatar
Agent 48
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 748
Joined: 23 Jun 2024, 18:47
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Agent 48 »

The problem with modern CB Radios is they are not made well often come with faults and if it don't have a fault it will soon develop one, they are not very good although they do have all the features you need and cover all channels.

The problem with used second hand CB radios you never truly know if they are 100% as many are more than 3 decades old now, some even older, capacitors will be failing and in some cases could benefit from a tune up after the old electrolytic capacitors have been changed. Not saying all vintage CB need it but they are knocking on a bit.

With a new CB you can be more confident that its going to be 100% in good order... but then again maybe not because they are cheaply made rubbish selling for top dollar.

Its a difficult one.

I suppose something like a President Lincoln CB radio isn't too old and not modern enough to be crap quality... just the right age range and a rig that is generally considered to be a good desirable radio. Not sure if I'd wanna spend an entire 200 quid on one tho but maybe 100 in good working order and condition.
User avatar
ch25
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1913
Joined: 03 Dec 2016, 11:07
Call Sign: Lemmy
Location: Poland
Has thanked: 9 times
Been thanked: 36 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by ch25 »

Lincoln 1 gen? It's (always been) crap radio and need a lot of work to be usable.
Problem with new radios is lack of documentation. In case of failure warranty or trash can. Those are disposable toys.
Chris
WE ARE MOTÖRHEAD, AND WE PLAY ROCK N' ROLL
You can't have too many antennas...
User avatar
Agent 48
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 748
Joined: 23 Jun 2024, 18:47
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Agent 48 »

I missed out on this beauty just before Christmas. I have been gutted about it ever since.

I like this CB radio because it is unusual and I like unusual radios. It is white and has its original mic. It looks to have a bit of a smash in the front but easily fixable. I'm not likely to see another one at least not for the same price with its original mic.

Image
User avatar
Agent 48
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 748
Joined: 23 Jun 2024, 18:47
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Agent 48 »

Its not very active on here at all...

I think with anything new going for something made by Alinco, Alinco make CB's. The prices on vintage CB's has got stupid. I'm glad I didn't sell all my old radios... is there anything at all good about modern times...
User avatar
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7640
Joined: 28 Jul 2010, 07:11
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Mudslinger »

Those Jesan radios are absolute junk. I had one, build and performance are poor.

As for the Alinco's I would avoid the DR-135UK/DX etc, and the CRE-8900 clone. I have had three of them in total, all developed display issues.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
User avatar
Transwarp
Veteran
Veteran
Posts: 4083
Joined: 03 May 2014, 20:15
Call Sign: Viper
Location: 'Ee bah gum'
Has thanked: 74 times
Been thanked: 115 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Transwarp »

Modern electronic gear are designed on computers and modelled for efficient manufacturing, in the case of CB radios same chassis and board design are used also from company to company, and like most modern things longevity is not a consideration, save for the manufacturer's, who can these days design and build things that will last a predictable amount of time.

The 'old' stuff from the 70's and 80's were made when computers were hardly involved in design and manufacturing, and over engineering things was still the thing, hence well known and regarded brands stood the test of time. Of course there was some junk made in the 80's as well but they were from known cheap brands, in the case of CB radio most experienced CB'ers knew what was ok to have and what to avoid anyway.

Get a well looked after Uniden chassis rig like a Cobra or Superstar from the 80's and put it against a well looked after rig like say a Magnum Omegaforce from the noughties and see, hear, and feel the difference, that's if any Mag Omegas are still around of course.

The cost of things today also makes new CB's unattractive imo.
Champion of IBTL Christmas Edition 2023.
Champion of IBTL Autumn 2022 Edition.
User avatar
DX-Digger
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1545
Joined: 27 Jul 2009, 22:01
Call Sign: TM205
Location: ... - --- -.- . --- -. - .-. . -. -
Has thanked: 47 times
Been thanked: 24 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by DX-Digger »

Being honest here I bought a DR 135 DX. The display is fading. it occasionally changes frequency while transmitting.
I have just replaced the mic lead as the original was falling apart. Chinese use cheap plastic covering on mic leads, not like the older radios which used a rubber based coiled lead.
And the build quality is very poor it is just a cheap chinese rig with an Alinco badge. You try contacting Alinco for parts or anything and you are met with silence.

I dont recommend one.
ʎɐqǝ uo pɹɐoqʎǝʞ ɐ ʎnq ı ǝɯıʇ ʇsɐן ǝɥʇ sı sıɥʇ
User avatar
Agent 48
Radio Addict
Radio Addict
Posts: 748
Joined: 23 Jun 2024, 18:47
Has thanked: 6 times
Been thanked: 4 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Agent 48 »

The fact you can buy a VHF/UHF dual bander for less than 20 quid but a CB, even a basic FM/AM is well over 70 odd quid most over 100 some at a p*** taking 300 for something made with the same cheap rubbish but you pay more because its "CB"

Many people I've spoken too, who have wasted there money on one of those cheaply made modern CB radios has had issues, most common fault it changing frequency or channel when the mic is keyed. They are also noisy.... all of them are... the old CB radio's receive less noise and hear more stuff and much clearer.

There are some nice looking Baofengs on the market today that have an appeal to them with a price tag that is right and they now come in many colors instead of boring bland black & have color screens now. You can also have DMR now for just under 50 quid although I'm yet to see a DMR radio that is appealing enough for me to want to buy it... but something like a Baofeng 1701 you can't really go wrong for the money.
User avatar
astradyne
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 10778
Joined: 14 Jun 2010, 09:28
Location: Dunny On The Wolds
Been thanked: 1 time
Contact:

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by astradyne »

I've just bought an Anytone Ares 2 and I'm actually quite pleased with it. Great receive and good TX audio reports on all modes. I prefer it to the 3900's!

My only gripe is that I'm not keen on the front fitted mic socket. It's something I'm getting used to though.
Never, ever, ever....bloody anything ever!

Far too many radio's to list here. But I do own a legal one...
dc260
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 128
Joined: 01 May 2021, 12:22
Has thanked: 13 times
Been thanked: 5 times
Contact:

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by dc260 »

Agent 48 wrote: 03 Jan 2025, 15:03 So I'm just curious... Most of the modern CB radios are made a bit cheap, although made cheap not cheap price... if you were given 200 quid to by a new CB what CB would you buy?
Most likely the CRT SS 7900V because it has all the modes necessary and has great quality noise reduction with a large display.

Although at that price, it might be better to acquire a used HF radio for 11m.
-
scanhermit
Top Poster
Top Poster
Posts: 1063
Joined: 11 Jan 2014, 09:45
Has thanked: 56 times
Been thanked: 84 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by scanhermit »

Do the Thunder pole rugs fall into the overpriced crap category?
User avatar
Tin soldier
Super Member
Super Member
Posts: 435
Joined: 14 Oct 2022, 15:14
Has thanked: 1 time

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Tin soldier »

CRT 9900
User avatar
Mudslinger
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7640
Joined: 28 Jul 2010, 07:11
Location: Oxfordshire
Has thanked: 23 times
Been thanked: 56 times

Re: New CB radio recommendations

Post by Mudslinger »

I have a President Barry AM/FM and it is a fantastic litte radio for what it is.

My brother has a Teddy 2 (which looks the same but has different innards) and that works very well too.

I am not a fan of the CRT1 or any of those super small clones with the fixed mic, they are just too fiddly to operate but they work ok.

A few years back I had an Mtec Legend 1. Supposedly it was Uniden boarded similar to an original President Teddy. It was ok but didn't really stand out in how it performed.
Mudslinger - Simon
26TM274
26CT612

There is no such thing as a Fidelity 1000 which is too good to scrap.
Post Reply